Powered by Max Banner Ads
Leica M9 Review: Should You Buy A Leica M9?
First of all I want to welcome you to my Leica M9 Review. I have done quite a bit research on the Leica M9 and I hope this review helps you to make an informed decision.
If at the end of your research you do decide to buy the Leica M9 I know you will not be disappointed.
I have found the best deals on Amazon.com it’s usually the first place I check and 99% of the time where I place my order from after my research is done.
I’ve also made it quite easy for you just click the link below and you will be taken directly to a list of available Leica M9 for sale.
Let’s go ahead and get into my Leica M9 Review…
Leica M9 Review: Product Features
The Leica M9 is the smallest full frame digital camera in the world. It’s the first Rangefinder with a 24 x 36mm format sensor.
It also comes with an 18-megapixel sensor which allows the full 35mm format and a custom-designed CCD sensor for optimal performance.
It is equipped with newly-developed cover glass to eliminate infrared light contamination, meaning no IR filters needed.The menus are also extremely simple and easy to handle
It is 1.5 x 5.5 x 3.2 inches and no more then 5 pounds in weight so extremely convenient.
This camera is definitely bound to take you back to the golden days of Manual Photography. A simple point and shoot is NOT what this camera is about.
You are sure to go back and look at photography as an art again where composition, aperture, f-stop, distance, white balance, etc., matter and something you will have to think about with every shot. You as the photographer are now 100% in charge.
This camera will give you a feeling that it’s more about the photographer then the camera. But of course now with a modern work of art at your disposal.
With that said you will not be able to get “lucky” with a Leica. Leica photographs are the product of some photographic reflection, composition, and manipulation of the simple functions of photography. You will definitely need to be patient and take time to shoot every shot but the results highly out weigh the wait.
You will not be able to hide behind autofocus, programmed settings, nor even a zoom lens. You’ll have to be EXACTLY where you want to be to take the picture you want, you’ll have to decide what f/stop to use, and you WILL have to focus
Leica M9 Review: The Pros
I now want to cover a few of the pros that come with owning your very own Leica M9.
- Manual focus, manual controls. And the glass is really something else to behold. Again you are 100% in control
- It’s small, compact and light weight. Your kit is smaller, your bags will be lighter and your back will thank you.
- You can use just about ANY lens that Leica made as far back as 1952 and with an adapter as far back as the 1930′s. (of course there are some exceptions)
- You can put a 32MB memory card into it and shoot over a thousand shots, no more having to change film after every 36 shots. You are able to take more risks without worrying about having to change your film
now like everything there are some cons which I will now cover…
Leica M9 Review: The Cons
- Price: of course price is always of concern as a Leica will cost you a pretty penny just under $7,000 on Amazon. and that’s just for the body so after buying a lens or two you can expect to be paying between $10k-$15k.
- You’re going to have to learn how to use the camera. You’re not going to be able to just take it out of the box and start shooting. The learning curve may be a little steep but the results will be impressive.
- People with glasses may find it hard to see the whole finder coverage.
- The LCD screen on the back is real low resolution and does not give the printed results any justice.
- The battery life is short so be sure to pick up an extra battery if you are planning a long day with lots of shooting.
- If you have any older non Aspherical lenses hold on to them. Leica is now making mostly Aspherical lenses these days and the older lenses are harder to find.
That is pretty much it for my Leica M9 Review I really hope it helps you to make an informed decision. Once you decide to take the plunge and purchase you Leica you will not be disappointed it is by far the BEST camera on the market today.
If you still want to do more research take a look at the rating and reviews it has received on Amazon